Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.
This incredibly creamy avocado pesto sauce recipe is easy to make and is bursting with fresh flavor.
Why I Love this Recipe
- This creamy pesto sauce is easy to make and comes together in just 5 minutes.
- It is naturally vegan as well as gluten-free.
- You can make this pesto ahead of time, making it great for meal prepping or a freezer meal.
- Use it as a pasta sauce, a dip for fresh veggies, or a spread on fresh bread.
Check out my Amazon Page to shop some of my favorite kitchenware & products
Basil: Fresh basil is the star of the show in the flavor department. I don't recommend using anything but fresh basil in this recipe to ensure proper flavors.
Avocado: The avocado gives us the amazing creamy texture and consistency that brings this pesto to life. Using fresh, ripe avocado is important to get the desired end result.
I love incorporating avocados into recipes as often as I can! Check out this article about the nutritional benefits of avocados.
Pine Nuts: The pine nuts give a delicious nutty flavor that is classic of pesto.
Side note, I usually find pine nuts in the produce section of the grocery store, or in the nut and seed section.
Garlic: I always prefer to use fresh garlic. It will give you the best flavors!
See recipe card below for the full list of ingredients and instructions.
Try my Easy Guacamole Recipe or my Mango Habanero Salsa next.
Step by Step Instructions
My favorite part about this avocado basil pesto is how quick and easy it is to make.
All you need to do is combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until it is smooth and creamy.
If you don't have a food processor you can use a blender instead.
Serve over pasta, spread on bread or toast, or use as a dip.
Substitutions and Additions
Add Cheesy Flavor: Add in 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast to get a plant based cheesy flavor.
Make it Spicy: Mix ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to add a kick of spice.
Make it Thinner: To thin the consistency, simply add a splash more of olive oil, or 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
If you're serving the pesto over pasta, reserve a few tablespoons of the pasta water to thin the pesto.
How to Serve Pesto
This incredible flavorful avocado pesto can be served in many different ways.
Below are some of my top suggestions:
- Serve over thick pasta
- Spread on warm bread, toast, or a bagel
- Use as a dip for fresh vegetables or crackers
- Toss the pesto with roasted potatoes or your favorite roasted vegetable
- Use as a sauce base for pizza
- Enjoy it as a marinade
- Use as a salad dressing or mix it into your existing dressing for extra flavor
- Spread it on a sandwich or a wrap
If you enjoyed this recipe try some of my other plant based recipes next:
Creamy Pesto Sauce
- 1 food processor
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve over ½ pound of cooked pasta, fresh bread, or use as a dip for crackers or fresh vegetables.
Leave a Comment