Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.
This creamy vegan soup is made using butternut squash, apples, and is seasoned with fresh herbs, bringing out all the best flavors of fall.
Reasons You'll Love This Soup
- Plant-Based: This creamy butternut squash soup is fully vegan/plant-based. It's free from all animal products and is dairy-free.
- Gluten-Free: It is also naturally gluten-free and doesn't contain any wheat products.
- Easy to Make: It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish and is a beginner level recipe.
- Make it Year-Round: I use frozen butternut squash from the frozen vegetable section of my grocery store and am able to make this autumn squash soup all year long!
If you're looking for more cozy recipes, try my Fall Harvest Salad or Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce next!
Butternut Squash: You can either use fresh squash or make this frozen butternut squash soup! I usually use frozen squash for convenience. If you use fresh, be sure to cut off the outer "skin" and removing the seeds before chopping it up.
Apple: Making butternut squash soup with apple is a great way to bring out even more fall flavor!
I use one honeycrisp apple to add some extra sweet flavor. This article talks about the different types of apples and their uses.
Herbs: Using fresh herbs will really bring out the best flavor in this soup. I used a combination of sage and rosemary.
If you swap for dried herbs in place of fresh, use half of what the original recipe calls for so the flavor isn't too overwhelming.
Coconut Milk: I love making butternut squash soup with coconut milk to bring out the sweet flavors of the squash. Once the soup is removed from heat, stir in the coconut milk.
See recipe card below for full list of ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
One of my favorite things about this butternut squash and apple soup is that it's really easy to make!
Start by prepping all of the ingredients according to the ingredient list. The prep for this soup is easy, just roughly chop everything since we will blend it all at the end.
Combine the onion, garlic, and olive oil in a large pot on the stovetop over medium low heat. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, add the squash, apple, herbs, and spices. Stir everything together and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable broth, turn the temperature up to medium heat, and cook for about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk. Allow the soup to cool to a safe temperature and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it's smooth.
If you don't have an immersion blender, allow the soup to cool completely before transferring to a traditional blender.
Make it Spicy: You can make spicy butternut squash soup by adding ¼ to ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper when you add the other spices and herbs.
Roast the Vegetables: If you want to elevate the flavors in this recipe, you can roast the squash, onion, garlic, and apple.
It's easy to turn this recipe into roasted butternut squash Chop everything and toss in a little olive oil, then roast in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Add More Veggies: Another great variation of this recipe is carrot butternut squash soup. Simply peel, chop, and add 2 large carrots when you add the onion and garlic.
How to Store
Refrigerator: You can store this vegan butternut squash soup in the fridge for 4-5 days. Store it in a sealed container.
Be sure to allow the soup to fully cool before storing it.
Freezer: If you plan to freeze the soup, it can last up to three months in the freezer in a closed container.
Freezing Tip: I like to use a large ice cube tray to freeze soups. It makes them easy to freeze and then store them in a large Ziploc bag. This is the 1 cup ice cube tray I use: Silicone Ice Tray
Optional Toppings or Garnishes
Below are some of my favorite toppings, garnishes, and ways to serve this autumn squash soup:
- Freshly baked bread
- Fresh herbs
- A drizzle of coconut milk
- Pumpkin seeds
- Caramelized apple slices
Try these plant-based soup recipes next:
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 cups butternut squash fresh or frozen, diced
- 1 honeycrisp apple diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Start by sautéing the garlic and onion in the olive oil over medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the butternut squash, apple, herbs and spices, stir, and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, stir, cover, and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat, pour in the coconut milk, allow to cool slightly and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it's creamy and smooth. See notes below for using a traditional blender.
Leave a Comment