This 30 minute Mediterranean grain bowl is made with nourishing grains, fresh produce, and tossed in a homemade dressing.
Whether you're looking for a veggie-packed side dish, a nourishing main course, or a plant-based snack, this Mediterranean quinoa salad is for you!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Vegan: This recipe is fully vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- Gluten-Free: This recipe doesn't contain any wheat/gluten products.
- Meal Prep Recipe: You can enjoy this recipe fresh or make it in advance for meal prepping.
Quinoa: I used classic quinoa, you can use any type of quinoa that you like best or have on hand.
Chickpeas: I typically make a batch of dried chickpeas at the beginning of the week and use those fresh chickpeas. For ease and convenience you can use canned chickpeas in this recipe. Be sure to drain and rinse them.
Vegetables: We use a variety of vegetables in this recipe including cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes.
Hummus: You can use any flavor of hummus that you like best. My top choices are regular, garlic, or Mediterranean flavored hummus.
Dressing: We make our own balsamic dressing for this Greek grain bowl.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients.
Substitutions & Additions
Add extra protein: The original recipe contains chickpeas and quinoa but if you would like to add more protein, it's easy to add it in.
My top recommendations would be tofu, tempeh, beans, seeds, or nuts.
Change the dressing: We use a homemade dressing in this mediterranean quinoa salad but you can skip a step and use pre-made dressing.
Swap or omit ingredients: If you plan on taking our one of the vegetables, I recommend adding more of another vegetable in.
Top Tip: This recipe is great for meal prepping! I like to make these grain bowls at the start of the week and enjoy them for a quick, easy meal at lunchtime.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Start by cooking the quinoa according to package instructions.
Next, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse the chickpeas then toss them in the olive oil and salt. Roast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Step 2: Mix all ingredients for the dressing together and set it aside. Doing this early on will allow a little time for the flavors to meld.
Step 3: Wash all of the produce and prep it according to the ingredient list.
Step 4: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, toss, and serve.
- Use fresh ingredients: Using the freshest possible ingredients will give you the best flavors.
- Fluff the quinoa: Use a fork to fluff the quinoa at the end of cooking. This will help keep the texture light instead of packing it together and making it dense.
There are so many ways to enjoy this recipe. Some of my top recommendations are:
- Mixed in with salad greens
- In a wrap using a tortilla
- Serve in a pita pocket
- Enjoy as a main dish or as a side dish
Frequently Asked Questions
If stored in the refrigerator in a closed container, this grain bowl can last up to four days.
Yes, typically the Mediterranean diet allows for minimally processed grains. Quinoa is a minimally processed grain and therefore a great option when following a Mediterranean diet.
More Recipes You'll Love
If you loved this recipe or any recipe on my website, please consider leaving a star rating or a comment below. I love hearing your feedback!
Mediterranean Grain Bowl
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cucumbers sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup hummus
- ¼ cup basil chopped
- Start by cooking the quinoa according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse the chickpeas then toss them in the olive oil and salt. Roast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking.
- Mix together all ingredients for the dressing and set it to the side.
- Wash and prep all ingredients according to the ingredient list.
- Assemble the bowl with all of the ingredients.