Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.
These creamy overnight oats are made with just a few simple ingredients and need only 5 minutes of prep time for an entire week's worth of breakfast!
Reasons you'll love these overnight oats:
- Plant-Based & Gluten-Free: This recipe doesn't use any animal products or have gluten in the ingredients, making it perfect for households with dietary needs or restrictions.
- Great for Meal Prepping: My favorite thing about this recipe is that you can take 5 minutes to prepare breakfast for the entire week! It holds up well in the fridge for 5 days and travels well to work or school.
- Easy Recipe: This recipe calls for just five ingredients and takes five minutes to make. It's also what I would categorize as a beginner level recipe and perfect for all levels of comfort in the kitchen.
You can find all of my favorite containers, jars & meal prep gear on my Amazon Page!
Oats: I prefer to use old fashioned oats but you can use most types of oats in overnight oats. Some will require more or less plant based milk so just be sure you adjust accordingly!
Chia Seeds: This is a great way to add some extra nutrients into your overnight oats. This article about chia seed benefits discusses how they are a good source of protein, fiber, and more!
Oat Milk: I love the creaminess that comes from oat milk in this recipe so that's my first choice of milk. I've made this recipe with just about every plant based milk possible, are they have all been good.
Yogurt: I like to used plant based yogurt to add extra creaminess, use any brand or flavor that you prefer.
Peanut Butter: You can use chunky or creamy, dealer's choice!
Quantities are labeled in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
It's so easy to make this overnight peanut butter oatmeal!
All you need to do is mix all of the ingredients together in a container, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, remove from the fridge and mix again, and thats it!
This is a true beginner level recipe and is perfect if you need a quick and easy breakfast recipe.
Substitutions and Additions
Milk Options: I used oat milk in this recipe but you can use any plant based milk that you love best. If you're not going to use oat milk you can try coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc.
Yogurt: I love making peanut butter overnight oats with yogurt. This is a great way to incorporate some extra creaminess into your oats. I love using a flavored plant based yogurt like vanilla or blueberry.
If you omit the yogurt be sure to add an extra ¼ cup of plant based milk.
Peanut Butter: Even though the peanut butter is the heart of this recipe, you can certainly omit it or swap it for another nut butter. Almond butter or cashew butter are both great alternatives.
If you have a nut allergy, you can use sun butter instead of a nut butter.
If you aren't familiar with plant based yogurts, check out this article about vegan yogurts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do they last? You can store these oats in the fridge for up to five days.
Are peanut butter overnight oats vegan? They can be, and this recipe is fully vegan. As long as the variety of milk and yogurt you're using is vegan, you're good to go!
How do you serve overnight oats? I love mixing in some fresh fruit, granola, hemp seeds, and for this specific recipe, some peanuts!
Try some of my other vegan breakfast recipes next:
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 1 cup oats
- 1 ¼ cup oat milk
- ¼ cup plant-based yogurt
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a jar or container and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Mix/stir again before serving and enjoy!