This sweet and savory fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich is packed with flavor and takes just ten minutes to make.
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick & Easy: This sandwich takes just ten minutes to make and is a low maintenance recipe.
- Vegan: We use all plant-based ingredients in this recipe making it fully vegan.
- A Childhood Favorite: Whether you're planning on making this sandwich for your kids or enjoying it yourself, you'll get feelings of nostalgia with every bite.
Bread: I chose to use sourdough bread for this recipe. It has extra flavor and the texture is great for toasting/frying.
Jelly: Use any flavor and type of jelly that you like best.
Peanut Butter: I used crunch peanut butter in this sandwich for extra texture.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
Switch up the bread: Though the original recipe calls for sourdough bread you can use any type of bread that you have on hand or like best.
Add fresh fruit: You can bring the flavor and texture to the next level by adding fresh fruit to your sandwich. I would recommend using berries that compliment the flavor of jelly you choose or freshly sliced bananas.
Make it nut-free: If you can't have peanuts you can use an alternative to peanut butter such as sun butter which is a "nut butter" made from sunflower seeds.
Step by Step Instructions
Image 1: Start by deciding if you're going to follow the original recipe or if you're going to make any substitutions. Then gather all of the ingredients you'll need to make your grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Image 2: Next, slice the bread and spread plant-based butter on the outside of each slice of bread. Then spread peanut butter on the "inside" of one piece of bread and jelly on the other.
Image 3: Grab your pan and turn the heat to medium-low. Once warm, place the sandwich with the butter side down on the pan. Cook it for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, then flip it to the other side and repeat.
You can use your discretion as far as how toasted you like your sandwich to be and cook accordingly. Check it frequently so it doesn't get overcooked.
Image 4: Allow the sandwich to cool slightly before enjoying fresh!
How to Serve This Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
You can enjoy this delicious sandwich in so many ways:
- After school snack
- Late night snack
- Add fresh fruit: If you want to bring this recipe to the next level add fresh fruit to your sandwich. Coordinate with the flavor of jelly you use or spice things up!
- Make/enjoy it fresh: This sweet and savory sandwich is loaded with creamy peanut butter and jelly which is delicious but might make your sandwich soggy if not enjoyed soon after you make it.
- Use a hazelnut spread: Use your favorite hazelnut spread in addition to the peanut butter or in place of it for extra flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Adding fresh fruit, hazelnut spread, or frying your pb&j sandwich are all ways to step up your sandwich game and make your peanut butter and jelly sandwich taste better!
My favorite way to spicy up and peanut butter and jelly sandwich is to grill or fry it. This will give you delicious toasted bread and creamy, gooey, warm, peanut butter and jelly on the inside.
My favorite type of bread to use is sourdough bread. It's full of flavor and gives great texture to your sandwich.
More Plant-Based Sandwiches You'll Love
If you loved this recipe or any recipe on my website, please consider leaving a star rating or a comment below. I love hearing your feedback!
Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup jelly
- 1 tablespoon plant-based butter
- Slice the sourdough bread into thick slices.
- Spread butter on the outside of the bread slices for the sandwich. Spread peanut butter on two of the insides of the slices of bread and jelly on the other two inside slices of bread.
- Press the peanut butter side of the sandwiches into the jelly sides of the sandwiches.
- Turn your stove onto medium-low heat and heat up the pan. Once it has warmed up for a minute or so put the two sandwiches on the pan with the butter side touching the pan.
- Cook each buttered side for 2-3 minutes or to your preferred level of crispiness.
- Enjoy as soon as the sandwiches cool slightly.