This vegan caprese panini is filled with avocado, tomato, plant-based mozzarella, and tons of delicious flavors on deliciously crispy garlic bread.
Reasons you'll love this recipe:
This is one of my favorite vegan sandwich recipes! Below are some of the reasons I think you will love this plant based vegan tomato mozzarella panini:
- This recipe is easy to make! Just pile your ingredients onto your buttered bread slices, grill in the panini press, and you're good to go!
- This is already one of my favorite vegan and vegetarian panini recipes, but can also easily be made gluten-free by swapping to a GF bread.
- There is a similar and well-loved sandwich, the Starbucks tomato mozzarella panini. This is a vegan version you can make at home!
This is top of the line when it comes to veg sandwich recipes, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
If you're looking for more savory vegan or vegetarian sandwich ideas, be sure to try my Spicy Vegan Chicken Sandwich next.
Bread: You can use any type of bread you like best, I recommend sourdough or focaccia.
Fresh Vegetables & Herbs: I used a combination of tomato, avocado, and basil for delicious, fresh flavors!
Seasoning: I recommend using a sprinkle of garlic powder on the buttered bread, and nutritional yeast on the avocado.
The nutritional yeast gives this vegan panini a nice cheesy flavor.
Balsamic Glaze: You can use a store-bought glaze or a homemade glaze. See recipe card below for instructions on how to make a homemade balsamic glaze.
Plant-Based Mozzarella: I used vegan mozzarella "cheese" slices in this vegan panini. Check out this post comparing some of the best vegan cheeses.
Plant-Based Butter: I like using Country Crock plant based butter because of how easily it spreads on the bread. Feel free to use your favorite vegan butter.
See recipe card below for quantities.
Let's walk step-by-step to make this yummy panini recipe vegetarian and vegan style!
If you're going to make your own homemade balsamic glaze, I recommend making that first and setting it aside to cool slightly while you prepare your other ingredients.
Slice the bread and spread butter on the outside of each slice. I like to add a little garlic powder onto the bread to give it some extra flavor.
Then prepare all other ingredients according to the ingredient list and assemble everything onto the bread slices.
Heat up your panini press and carefully transfer the panini onto the press.
Cook it on the press for about 5 minutes or until the bread is nice and crispy on the outside.
Recipe Variations & Substitutes
Focaccia Panini: This is one of my favorite variations! Simply swap your bread selection for two hearty slices of focaccia instead.
Vegan Chicken Caprese Panini: Add some seasoned vegan "chicken" to your panini during assembly for extra substance.
Make it Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free bread to make this recipe gluten-free.
If you're looking for more vegan and vegetarian sandwich ideas, be sure to try some of these recipes next:
- 1 Panini Press
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices vegan mozzarella
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp garlic powder optional
- Prep all ingredients according to the ingredient list.
- Prepare your balsamic glaze if making your own. Do this by adding ½ cup balsamic vinegar to a pan and bringing it to a boil. Immediately reduce the temperature to medium/low heat and continue to cook for about 3 minutes, or until it begins to thicken slightly. Remove from heat to let cool.
- Butter the outer sides of the sliced bread with an option step of sprinkling a little garlic powder onto the butter for extra flavor.
- Next, layer all ingredients onto the bread followed by a drizzle of the balsamic glaze on top. Then place the second slice of bread on top (butter on the outside of both slices.
- Cook on your pre-heated panini press for about 5 minutes or until the bread is toasty on the outside and the cheese has become melty.
- Carefully remove from the panini press, let it cool slightly, and enjoy!