Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This hearty pasta is made with flavorful sun dried tomatoes, fresh herbs, and is the perfect dish for an easy dinner at home.
Why You'll Love This Vegan Pasta
- Vegan & Plant-Based. This homemade pasta sauce is naturally plant based.
- Gluten-Free. The sauce is gluten-free and the entire dish can be just by swapping for a GF pasta.
- Fast & Easy. It takes just 20 minutes to make this easy, beginner-level pasta.
- Meal Prep Friendly. You can enjoy this meal fresh or use this recipe for meal prepping.
Sun Dried Tomatoes: When selecting a jar or can of sun dried tomatoes you can select any cut that you prefer. I like to roughly chop them for this recipe, so it doesn't matter how they are sliced before they are jarred.
I recommend getting sun dried tomatoes that are jarred in oil, not dried.
Pasta: Use any type of pasta you like best or have on hand. I think that using a heartier pasta works a little better with this sauce because of its consistency.
Basil: I prefer to add the basil at the end of cooking, once the sauce is removed from heat. This will keep it light and extra flavorful. Use fresh basil for the best possible flavor.
Crushed Red Pepper: The crushed red pepper adds a great flavorful kick to this homemade vegan pasta sauce. Add more or less to adjust the level of heat to your preferences.
Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic rather than jarred, pre-minced garlic for the best flavor.
See the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and quantities.
Step By Step Instructions
Start by boiling a pot of water and cooking your pasta of choice to accompany your sun dried tomato pasta sauce.
Next, you'll prep all of the ingredients according to the ingredient list. You can choose how thick you prefer your sun dried tomatoes to be.
Then add the olive oil to a large pan and warm over low heat. Once warmed, add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about one minute.
Top Tip: When cooking garlic, it's important to cook it on a low heat setting. If cooked at too high of a heat, it will quickly burn/brown which with give it a bitter/unpleasant taste.
Next, add the sun dried tomatoes, spices, and reserve pasta water. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Drain the pasta and toss it with the vegan sun dried tomato pasta sauce and the fresh basil.
Cool slightly before serving.
Substitutions and Additions
Make it extra creamy: If you're looking to make extra creamy sun dried tomato pasta sauce, add ¼ cup of oat milk after you remove the sauce from heat, before adding the basil.
Add Some Greens: You can make this a spinach sun dried tomato pasta by adding 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach immediately after removing the pasta and sauce combination from heat.
Make it more or less spicy: Simply add more or less crushed red pepper in order to meet your spice level preferences.
Gluten-Free: This pasta sauce is already gluten-free, so in order to make the entire dish gluten-free, use a GF pasta option.
Choice of Pasta: You can use any type of pasta you prefer, I think that a sun dried tomato spaghetti would be delicious, or a penne. Truly any type of thick or hearty pasta.
This vegan spaghetti recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to five days.
You can also store the plant based pasta sauce in an airtight jar or container in the freezer for up to three months.
If storing in the freezer, I recommend storing just the sauce not the actual pasta.
If you're looking for more plant based pasta dishes, be sure to try these next:
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp reserve pasta water
- ½ cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- Start by boiling a pot of water and cooking the pasta of your choice according to package instructions.
- Prep all ingredients according to the ingredient list. Heat olive oil in a large pan over low heat and add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper. Heat garlic for about one minute or until fragrant, be careful not to allow the garlic to brown.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, and the reserve pasta water. Cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. If the sauce gets too thick, add 1 tablespoon of reserve pasta water at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Toss the pasta in the sauce until it's well coated/mixed and add the fresh basil.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.