These creamy plant based mashed potatoes are one of my favorite vegan sides and are the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
I love creating recipes for holidays! Creating foods that will help myself and others have a successful and delicious plant based Thanksgiving makes this even more fun.
These whipped sweet potatoes have a great balance of sweet and savory flavors and really spice things up when it comes to vegan Thanksgiving sides.
This vegan sweet potato casserole is made using the best plant based ingredients:
Sweet Potatoes: I used four pounds (utilize the scale in the produce section at the grocery store if you don't have a scale at home) of peeled sweet potatoes in this recipe.
Almond Milk: These mashed potatoes with almond milk are creamy and delicious.
Vegan Butter: The vegan butter in these potatoes make these savory mashed sweet potatoes extra salty and creamy.
If you're in the market for a new vegan butter, this article talks about the 10 best vegan butters.
Garlic: You can never go wrong when adding garlic to savory dishes. Sautéing the garlic in the vegan butter was a total game changer.
Salt: I used Himalayan pink sea salt in this dish but you can use any type of salt that you have on hand.
See recipe card below for quantities.
You'll start by prepping your ingredients. To get the creamiest mashed potatoes, I usually peel the potatoes.
Once the sweet potatoes are peeled, slice them into inch long pieces, place them in a large pot, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for about 15 minutes or so, until you can easily cut through a potato with a fork.
Drain the sweet potatoes and set aside.
Melt the vegan butter in the pot and add the minced garlic. Cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
Return the sweet potatoes to the pot along with the remaining ingredients. Mash the sweet potatoes and then stir everything together.
Let cool slightly before enjoying.
If you don't have almond milk on hand, you can use oat milk in its place.
You can swap the vegan butter for extra virgin olive oil.
You can store these mashed potatoes in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To reheat, place in a microwave safe dish, add about 1 teaspoon of water, and microwave for about 90 seconds, stirring halfway through.
You can also reheat them on the stovetop by placing them in a pot, adding 1 tablespoon of water, and cooking over medium heat for several minutes, stirring frequently.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to try these next:
Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Large pot
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic medium
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into approximately 1 inch pieces.
- Place the potato chunks in a large pot and fill the pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, lower the heat and let the potatoes continue to cook for about 15 more minutes, until you can easily cut them with a fork.
- Once the sweet potatoes have finished cooking, drain them and set aside.
- Combine the vegan butter and minced garlic in the pot and cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Return the sweet potatoes to the pot along with the remaining ingredients.
- Mash the sweet potatoes and then stir everything together until you have your creamy mashed sweet potatoes. Let them cool slightly before enjoying.