This spicy one pot fusilli is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. It is made using fresh vegetables, herbs, hearty pasta, and takes just 30 minutes to make!
This recipe is great if you need a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
I love that this is a one pot pasta recipe too! We cook the pasta in the same pot as the sauce which means less dishes to wash and a nice starchy sauce.
If you love this recipe be sure to try my Spicy Peanut Noodles next!
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
- Vegan: This recipe is made without using any meat, dairy, or eggs making it fully vegan & vegetarian.
- One Pot: We cook the pasta directly in the sauce which means less dirty dishes to clean later.
- Quick & Easy: This entire recipe takes only 30 minutes and has easy to follow instructions and simple ingredients.
- Full of Flavor: The fresh flavors from the vegetables and incredible spice level make this dish a flavorful meal.
Fusilli: This hearty noodle is the pasta of choice for this dish. It's hearty and holds up great in a one pot pasta.
Onions: You can use sweet or yellow onions.
Garlic: Make sure to use freshly minced garlic rather than jarred or pre-minced garlic for the best and freshest possible flavors.
Tomatoes: Fresh Roma tomatoes work best in this sauce but you can swap for other tomatoes if you don't have Roma tomatoes.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and quantities.
Substitutions & Additions
Swap for a different pasta: Simply swap out the fusilli for any pasta you have at home.
Adjust level of spiciness: You can add more or less crushed red pepper depending on how spicy you like your food.
Add extra veggies: It's easy to add extra vegetables to this pasta dish. You can add a handful of spinach or kale at the end of cooking or incorporate vegetables into the sauce.
Make a thicker/thinner sauce: You can add more or less water to this pasta to make it thicker or thinner.
Step by Step Instructions
These simple steps will help you make flawless spicy fusilli in no time!
Image 1: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Once the oil is warm you can add the diced onion to the pot. Stir it well and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, add the garlic and tomato paste. Stir well and cook for another minute.
Add the diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper to the pot, stir.
Image 2: Allow the sauce to cook for about five minutes. You will notice that the tomatoes release liquid when they start to cook down. Stir every couple of minutes and leave uncovered during this portion.
Image 3: Pour one cup of water and the uncooked pasta into the pot. Stir everything well then cover the pot and allow it to cook until the pasta is fully cooked to your liking. This usually takes 10-13 minutes.
Stir every few minutes to ensure all of the pasta is getting cooked in the sauce.
Image 4: Once the pasta is fully cooked remove the pot from heat. Stir in the coconut milk and adjust the salt and red pepper according to preference.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fusilli is a spiral, twisted shape of pasta. It is classically Italian and served in a wide variety of pasta-based dished.
We use crushed red pepper to bring a delicious heat to this recipe.
More Pasta Recipes You'll Love
If you loved this recipe or any recipe on my website, please consider leaving a star rating or a comment below. I love hearing your feedback!
One Pot Spicy Fusilli
- ½ pound fusilli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 roma tomatoes diced, about 4 cups
- 1 yellow onion diced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Pour the olive oil into a large pot and warm over medium-low heat. Once warm add the onion, stir, and cook for about 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic, stir and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Stir and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Pour one cup of water and the uncooked fusilli into the pot. Stir everything together well, cover the pot, and allow to cook until the pasta is cooked to your liking - typically 10-13 minutes depending on the brand. Stir every 3-4 minutes to ensure the pasta is cooking evenly.
- Once the pasta is fully cooked remove the pot from heat and stir in the coconut milk. Adjust the salt and crushed red pepper to taste and enjoy!