This creamy chipotle pasta is made with fresh vegetables, a creamy homemade chipotle sauce, and served over your favorite pasta. It's an easy recipe that comes together in just 25 minutes!
I love a good pasta recipe and this chipotle pasta recipe is perfect for a comfort meal that's full of flavor.
It's filled with a variety of fresh vegetables to help you hit your daily quota and is easy to adjust and make your own.
If you enjoyed this recipe try my Vegan Cajun Pasta next!
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
- Vegan: We don't use any meat, dairy, or eggs in this recipe which makes it fully plant-based/vegan. This makes it perfect for a variety of dietary needs and preferences.
- Gluten-Free Sauce: The homemade sauce for this recipe doesn't have any gluten in it. If you want a full GF meal just toss it in your favorite gluten-free pasta.
Chipotle Peppers/Adobo Sauce: The chipotle peppers and adobe sauce will come together in a can. I can typically find it in the "international" section of my grocery store.
Bell Peppers: I like to use a combination of red, orange, and yellow bell peppers for a variety of colors and flavor.
Garlic: Use fresh garlic to get the freshest and best possible flavors.
Pasta: I used a bowtie pasta in this recipe but you can use any type of thick pasta that you like best.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and quantities.
Top Tip: Don't forget to set aside 2 cups of the pasta water at the end of cooking your pasta. We will use this to thin out our homemade sauce.
Substitutions & Additions
Make it Gluten-Free: The sauce is already made without any wheat/gluten products. If you want this entire meal to be gluten-free, just use a GF pasta!
Add Protein: You can mix in your favorite chickpeas, white beans, or vegan Italian sausages to add some extra protein.
Make it Spicier: If you really want to turn up the heat you can double the amount of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce that the recipe calls for.
Make it Less Spicy: Reduce the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce by at least half to make this a less spicy dish.
Step by Step Instructions
Image 1: Start by making the pasta according to package instructions. Make sure you set aside and save 2 cups of the pasta water at the end of cooking.
Prep the vegetables for the sauce. Slice the peppers and onion, mince the garlic, and dice the tomatoes and chipotle peppers.
Image 2: Heat the olive oil in a sauce pot over medium-low heat. Once it's nice and warm add in the onions and cook them for about five minutes.
Next, stir in the bell peppers, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, garlic, adobo sauce, and garlic. Continue to cook them over medium-low heat for another five minutes.
Image 3: Stir in one cup of the reserved pasta water and mix everything together. Allow it to cook for another few minutes and reduce slightly.
Stir in the oat milk and remove the sauce from heat.
Image 4: Gently stir in the pasta and the fresh basil.
Enjoy fresh for best results.
- Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh ingredients will almost always help give your recipes a better all around flavor.
- You can make the sauce in advance: If you want to meal prep or just prepare in advance you can make the sauce ahead of time. Cook the pasta when you're ready to eat and simply heat the sauce up before tossing the two together.
- Sneak in extra veggies: If you're looking for sneaky ways to get more vegetables in your diet this is the perfect opportunity. Add some extra peppers, onions, or any veggie you like best into this sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can easily make chipotle alfredo by mixing in chipotle peppers or adobo sauce in with your favorite alfredo sauce.
Most pasta sauce recipes are already naturally vegan! Most vegan sauces consist of olive oil, tomatoes, salt, and fresh herbs.
You can store this pasta in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Allow the pasta and sauce to cool completely before storing.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes You'll Love
If you loved this recipe or any recipe on my website, please consider leaving a star rating or a comment below. I love hearing your feedback!
Creamy Chipotle Pasta
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups bell peppers
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Start by boiling a large pot of water and cooking the pasta according to package instructions. At the end of cooking the pasta set aside 2 cups of the pasta water before straining the pasta.
- Slice the bell peppers and onions, dice the tomatoes, mince the garlic, and roughly chop the chipotle peppers.
- Sauté the onions in a large pot with the olive oil and salt over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until they have softened slightly and become fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic, adobo sauce, and chipotle peppers. Continue to cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in one cup of the reserved pasta water and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the oat milk and remove the sauce from the heat.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce and sprinkle chopped basil on top. Mix until well combined and enjoy!
Leave a Comment